Friday, February 5, 2016

Cleansing the Palate with Lemongrass Sorbet ~~ #FreshTastyValentines

When serving a several course meal I like offering a palate cleanser before the entree is served. Sorbet is commonly used and depending on the meal I often serve different flavors of sorbet.  I look for a flavor that is tart and prepares the palate for the richness of the plates to come.  Cranberry sorbet is one of my favorites to serve, especially if I am following it with a beef, pork or poultry entree. Lemon sorbet is also very popular and I have used it when serving fish or seafood entrees.


You can find Gourmet Garden in the produce section of you grocers.
Also on instagram at GourmetGarden and on twitter at GourmetGardenUS
This zester from KitchenIQ is the best I have ever used!!

Since the menu I am sharing this week contains an Asian entree, I wanted to use Asian flavors in my sorbet.  Gourmet Garden graciously sent us stir in pastes that included Lemongrass and Ginger.  knew that these flavors would be perfect in the sorbet for this meal.  I also included some lemon zest and lemon juice.  I used a new zester that I received for this event from Kitchen IQ.  This is a wonderful tool.  It has a container under the zesting blade that catches and measures the zest for you and a cover for over the blade while the zester is being stored.  This is going to get a lot of use in my household.  I love it!!


Wow!!!  This is the best Sorbet I have ever enjoyed!


Sorbet is very easy to make and can be made up to two weeks in advance and kept frozen until ready to serve.  A little goes a long way as you only offer a small scoop to each guest.  This sorbet was everything I knew it would be.  The brightness of the lemongrass with a little warmth from the ginger, cleansed the palate and left us ready to continue on with the rest of the meal.  This may be my favorite sorbet flavor profile yet.


Just one more little note:  While our sponsors are lovely and generous (see their reader giveaway here) all opinions are strictly my own and 100% accurate.


Lemongrass Sorbet

1 tube Lemongrass Paste (I used Garden Gourmet)
1 t. ginger paste (I used Garden Gourmet)
1 T. lemon zest
1 T. lemon juice
4 c. water
1 c. sugar

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over med high heat.  Cook and stir until it comes to a boil and the sugar is dissolved.  Let cool to room temperature and then place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.  When liquid is completely chilled, pour into the bowl of an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions. Or alternately, pour into a freezer safe container and freeze for one day and up to two weeks.  Print Recipe. 


17 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! I am SO giving this a try. My boss gifted me a lovely Cuisinart Ice Cream maker over the Holidays and I've still yet to break it in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how easy homemade sorbet is, this sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow was w fun flavor for sorbet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a small ice cream maker. But then again I already have appliances I don't use. This sorbet sounds refreshing!! I love anything citrus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really good Paula and you don't need an ice cream maker. You can just pour it into a bowl and freeze it.

      Delete
    2. I will try it!! Thank you Wendy

      Delete
    3. You are welcome Paula. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, this sounds so refreshing. What a fun way to use lemongrass! Time to break out the ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Gourmet Garden tubes! This is a great use of the lemongrass and ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used this zester soooo much. I love the idea of this sorbet, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great flavor profile you have here!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.