Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Goldfinch: A Book Review

I finished this book quite a few days ago.  I listened to another book and am halfway through the next book that I am reading and I still haven't reviewed The Goldfinch.


This is because I am still trying to wrap my head around it.  Did I like this book?  I liked parts of it.  It held my attention.  My friend, Stacy of Food Lust People Love, described it perfectly when she said she felt like she was viewing a train wreck and couldn't pull her eyes away.  It is the story of a young boy who suffers a great tragedy that affects him the rest of his life. 


Until finally, he comes to this conclusion....but he was never bad.  He made mistakes, plenty of them as we all do.  He was an addict which, of course, created many problems.  He was young and scared and alone, this shaped him into the man he became.  He was dishonest and stole from others using deceit and their ignorance.  He killed a man to save himself and others.  Does this make him bad or just human?  His heart was good, I think.  The things he did, he did to help others even if they were wrong choices.

I still don't know how I feel about this book.  I like happy endings where everything is tied up prettily with a bow.  But that is not real life and that is not how this book ends.  

Have you read The Goldfinch?  What were your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I liked this book. But I can remember wondering if it would ever end. And I still think the whole story could have been covered in fewer pages. Too long!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very long book...it seemed like it took me forever to read it.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.